Sunday, February 19, 2012

Arundhati Roy - The God of Small Things

I bought this book after being referred to it by someone who was reading it for her book club.  I find that it helps to talk about books one has read....it sort of breaks the ice. Akin to the British talking about the weather. I read it once in  2007 and decided to carry it along with me a fortnight ago to some long journey down south.  It would be my companion during long waits at airports or lonely nights away from home and all that was familiar.

I was not disappointed by Roy. Although I have struggled to tie the title to the book, I nonetheless loved the story line...though quite tragic. Why do things have to be tragic...to fall apart.

The book has so many threads and themes...the untouchables, politics, family shenanigans, loving and not being loved in return, broken dreams and most of all...the laws that lay down who should be loved and how they should be loved.

I guess that life is tragic in more ways than one.....and as I post this....I get so emotional to think that Whitney Houston died so young. My 19 year old son remembers that I used to play her CD's over and over again as we drove to school and back. Her best line for me was ...."I decided long ago never to live in any one's shadow..."

Do we have to abide by the laws that have been set for us by other mortals? And why do authors always write books about tragedy....Perhaps the triumphant entry is a figment of the gospel's imagination and real  life is all about broken dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment