Sunday, January 29, 2012

Isabel Allende - Island Beneath the Sea

I just finished reading Isabel Allende's -  Island Beneath the Sea.

I often pick books at airports or purchase them via Amazon.  Books tend to keep the boredom away and help manage the dreariness of long waits in airports especially when one's flight is delayed. Oh! What would one do without a good paperback.

From as far back as I grasped my ABC's, I always hid behind the books that I read. Was it being snobbish or a mechanism for avoiding empty talk?...  I remember with nostalgia sitting in the trees in the ridges on my parent's country home pouring through African Writers Series...The bliss...

A good author transports one away from the vicissitudes of this present life.  I travel in the books I read...going to places, I would otherwise not be able to.   Seeking to understand different people's and cultures..better than a history book. It doesn't matter that the books are subject to the author's imagination and spice.

I have also read Allende's, The House of Spirits; Ines of my Soul; Zorro and Paula. No disappointment there.  The Latin American mystic and style grips me.

For those who cannot read history books...a good paperback is worth it. And Isabel Allende is definitely worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment